Phone: +420 777 299 223
5.kvetna 108, Milevsko, Czech Republic, Show on the map

Tips for trips


The Premonstratensian Monastery and the City Museum - 2km

The Premonstratensian monastery was founded between 1184 and the 1187. It is the oldest monastery in South Bohemia. It was founded by George of Milevsko. The future abbot Jarloch and his monks participated in the construction. Four years after its founding the monastery was burned down. During the Hussite wars the monastery was destroyed by Jan Zizka and his troops. The former abbot of the monastery managed to hide all valuables at Pribenice castle, but after the conquest of the castle the valuables were destroyed too. In the 15th century the monastery was owned by the Rosenbergs and then Svamberks. In the 16th century, Christopher of Svamberk sold the monastery to the masters of Hodejov. Though the main gate from 1885, you enter the courtyard. On the right side, there is the building of a former Latin school. It was the oldest school in the region. Today it houses the museum.

The Jewish synagogue – in city centre

The building was finished in 1919 and is located in Sokolovska Street. It is the unique connection of Empire and Cubism. A memorial plaque commemorates the genocide of the Jews and it currently belongs to the Czechoslovak Hussite Church. (Tip: The Jewish cemetery with the tombstones from 18th century is situated about 1 kilometre far from the town).

St. Bartholomew Church – in city centre

At place of the original church from the 16th century, the church was built in 1866. The original church was made of rough granite blocks. It was constructed by Henry of Svamberk. It was built after the town fire in 1513. In the 19th century when the church that was greatly dilapidated, a public collection and recovery began and the demolition started. The current church was built as thanks for the survival of the assassination of Emperor Franz Joseph I. Construction of the church took three years and the main altar was made by a carver Karel Burda from Milevsko.

Orlik Castle – 16 km

Orlik Castle is a chateâu located 500 m northeast of the village of Orlik nad Vltavou. The original position of the chateâu, on a rock 60 m above the Vltava valley, was altered by the creation of the Orlik reservoir in 1954-62, and the chateâu is now barely a few metres above the water level.

Hrad Zvíkov - 12km

Zvikov, often called "the king of Czech castles", is a castle located at the confluence of the Vltava and Otava rivers, next to the village Zvikovske Podhradi. It is placed on a hard to access and steep promontory above the two rivers. The castle is one of the most important early-Gothic castles in Czech lands.


The town lies on the border of Tabor and Voticka highlands in central surroundings of Vltava River in Pisek district at an altitude of 465 m. It is located about 12 kilometres from The Orlicka Dam and 20 kilometres northwest of the city of Tabor.

Tips for trips